- We are looking for volunteer youth workers to work on Wednesday evenings in Hackney.
- We believe in youth work that is based on young people’s needs and wishes and is informal, educational, co-operative and anti-oppressive.
- We aim to reflect the diversity of the communities we work in, and we particularly welcome Black and Minority Ethnic applicants.
- If interested contact email@example.com
- Working one evening per week (Wednesdays around 5:30-9:30) alongside other youth workers / volunteers at Lea View Community Hall, Springfield, Hackney E5.
- Having conversations with young people, getting to know them, keeping them safe, building professional relationships, working with them to organise things they are interested in doing.
- Setting up, clearing away and evaluating the session each week with colleagues.
- Taking part in VOY meetings (every one or two months).
- Developing as a youth worker by taking part in evaluations, training and group supervision.
- Following the VOY safeguarding policy and our other policies.
- Willing to work towards VOY principles (see http://www.voice-of-youth.org/principles)
- Be reliable and a good communicator, e.g. let us know when you can’t make it
- Age 16+
- Commit to at least 6 months if at all possible (any concerns about this, let us know)
Preferred (but not essential):
- Links to Hackney
- Youth work experience / training / qualification
- You need to be available for our main session every Wednesday 6-8:30 for young people, so approx. 5:30-9:30 for staff.
- You also need to attend at least some of our VOY meetings (times vary).
- Volunteers can usually claim reasonable travel expenses if needed – talk to us for more details.
- Volunteers with criminal records should contact us for an informal chat – it won’t prevent you from volunteering unless your record could endanger the young people or VOY. (We do carry out DBS criminal record checks on all volunteers).
- After you have been volunteering regularly for 6 months you can be considered to become a full co-operative member (running the co-operative and sharing in any paid work available).
- We run an induction session to welcome and inform new volunteers, we offer regular group supervision for development, and we organise training and socials.
- Students may be able to do their youth work placement with us, as long as they meet all other requirements and if they can make up their placement hours elsewhere if needed (we are a part-time volunteer-run project and mainly work on Wednesday evenings). If interested, get in touch.
How to apply to be a volunteer: Get in touch! firstname.lastname@example.org